See also: Categories: Instructors, Adjudicators, Dancers, Latin, Fashion
Home Country: South Africa
- Fashion Designer
- TV Personality
OverviewInspired by the iconic dance film Saturday Night Fever at a young age, Michael Wentink has dedicated his life to his passion and love for dance.
Michael Wentink with his partner Beata Onefater began to represent South Africa when Beata was only 17 years old. They were a champion couple for 10 years in the Latin Amateur and Professional divisions of competitive Ballroom dancing.
In 1998, Michael and Beata became the undefeated World Latin Champions and were the first South African couple to win this title.
After turning Professional in 1999, Michael and Beata became finalists of every major international competition since their Professional debut at the Blackpool Dance Festival (British Open).
In 2004, the couple moved to New York and decided to represent the United States. At the end of 2004, Beata decided to retire, but the pair continued performing showdance programs worldwide from 2007 to 2009.
Michael continues to travel the world to instruct, choreograph, and lecture upcoming athletic dancers. He is also an accredited DanceSport adjudicator.
FashionMichael is also a world renowned fashion designer with a label currently available internationally. In 2013, he launched the modern and trendy Unisex Bubble Leather "Mambo" Jacket. His pattern maker also designs for Alexander McQueen and his work is immaculately pieced together by the manufacturers of Dolce and Gabanna clothing.
TVAfter travelling the world in pursuit of the Latin World Champion title, Michael returned to South Africa and appeared on Season 1 of "Strictly Come Dancing". South Africa soon fell in love as Michael and TV personality Zuraida Jay put their hearts on the dance floor week after week, which led them to ultimately winning season 1 of the show in 2006.
Michael was also one of the three judges of the T.V. reality dance competition, "Superdance South Africa", which aired from August to November of 2009.
When rights were brought to the sixth season of "Strictly Come Dancing" in 2013, Michael was made one of the three permanent judges. He returned in 2014 and 2015 to judge the seventh and eight seasons of the show as well.
It’s quite easy to assess the dancing from a technical and entertainment point of view, and the years spent as a competitive dancer on a world stage certainly helps me relate to the contestants on the show. The challenging part is having to criticize, analyze and in very few words guide, instruct and advise the dance couples, with limited time.
- 12-time undefeated South African Latin Champion
- Randy Ferguson's Dance Houston Professional Latin Champion (2007)
- 2-time World Professional Latin Finalist (2001-2002)
- World Professional Latin Bronze Medalist (1999)
- 5-time British Open Professional Latin Finalist (1999, 2001-2004)
- 4-time UK Open Professional Latin Finalist (2000-2003)
- United States National Professional Latin Vice Champion (2003)
- 24th Japan International Dancing Championships Professional Latin Champion (2003)
- South African DanceSport Championship Professional Latin Champion (2002)
- NATD National Championship Professional Latin Champion (2002)
- 2-time International Championships Professional Latin Vice Champion (2002)
- International Championships Professional Latin Finalist (2000-2001)
- All England Championships Professional Latin Champion (2002)
- Hessen Tanzt Amateur Latin Champion (1999)
- IDSF Open Amateur Latin Champion (1999)
- IDSF World Amateur Latin Champion (1998)
- IDSF-IMG World Invitational Latin & American DanceSport Championships Amateur Latin Champion (1998)
- British Open Amateur Latin Champion (1998)
- IDSF Open to the World Amateur Latin Champion (1998)
- 7-time IDSF International Open Amateur Latin Champion (1997-1998)
- 2-time UK Open Amateur Latin Champion (1997-1999)
- 2-time United States DanceSport Championships Open Amateur Latin Champion (1996-1997)
- UK Open Amateur Latin Rising Star Champion (1994)
- Hidemi Yamamoto (2008)
- Kristina Rihanoff (Pchenitchnykh) (2007)
- Beata Onefater (1995 - 2004)
- Veronica Patrick (1994, 2011)
- Fashion Designer
- South Africa's "Strictly Come Dancing", Adjudicator