USA Dance National DanceSport Championships
See also: Categories: Ballroom, Competition, Latin, Events, DanceSport
Organizing Federation: USA Dance, World DanceSport Federation
Date: Ending of March/Beginning of April
Location: Baltimore, Maryland (USA)
OverviewEach year, USA Dance hosts qualifier competitions in the United States as a chance for DanceSport competitors to get the chance to compete in their country's National DanceSport Championship to determine the United States National Juvenile, Junior, Youth, Adult Amateur and Senior Champions in the various categories of Standard, Latin, 10 Dance, American Smooth, Rhythm and 9 Dance.
Nationals Qualifier EventsQualifier competitions for the USA Dance National DanceSport Championships include:
- New England DanceSport Championships
- Summer Sizzler – NJ DanceSport Classic
- Gumbo DanceSport Championship
- Carolina Fall Classic
- Chicago DanceSport Challenge
- California State DanceSport Championships
- Manhattan Amateur Classic
- Southeastern DanceSport Championships
- Mid-Atlantic Championships
A competitor must be in the top 65% of dancers in the event(s) that he or she has entered in at least one of these competitions in order to be eligible to compete in the USA Dance National DanceSport Championships.
These competitions vary in time of year, beginning right after the ending of Nationals of one year to right before Nationals of the next year.
In order to compete in the USA Dance National DanceSport Championships, as well as in any USA Dance competition, one must be a registered DanceSport athlete member of USA Dance.
The Organizing FederationEach year, USA Dance organizes and runs over 30 national, regional and local dance competitions. These competitions are organized on the local level by USA Dance Chapters, the regional level by experienced competition organizers, and on the National level by the National Organizing Committee of USA Dance.
National champions are selected through the USA Dance National DanceSport Championships. USA Dance then helps to finance their participation in the WDSF World DanceSport Championships and World DanceSport Games (which are held for Olympic-recognized sports that are not yet in the Olympic Program).
Continuation onto WorldsAs a conclusion to the USA Dance National DanceSport Championships, the following lists the number of couples that will be selected to represent the United States at the WDSF World DanceSport Championships in various age categories and divisions depending on their placings at the Nationals:
- Junior 2 World Standard - 2 Couples
- Junior 2 World Latin - 2 Couples
- Junior 2 World 10 Dance - 1 Couple
- Youth World Standard - 2 Couples
- Youth World Latin - 2 Couples
- Youth World 10 Dance - 1 Couple
- Under 21 Open World Standard - 2 Couples
- Under 21 Open World Latin - 2 Couples
- Under 21 Open World 10 Dance - 1 Couple
- Adult World Standard - 2 Couples
- Adult World Latin - 2 Couples
- Adult World 10 Dance - 1 Couple
- Senior 1 World Standard - 2 Couples
- Senior 1 World Latin - 2 Couples
- Senior 1 Open World 10 Dance - 1 Couple
- Senior 2-4 Open World Standard - 2 Couples
- Senior 2-4 Open World Latin - 2 Couples
WDSF Syllabus Workshops & Certification ExamsWDSF Syllabus Workshops & Certification Exams will be organized by USA Dance to be held at the USA Dance National DanceSport Championship at the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland from March 30 to April 2, 2017.
Full Exams are open to anyone wishing to become a licensed USA Dance adjudicator.
Re-certification Exams are mandatory for those wishing to become WDSF "B" licensed adjudicators. Three WDSF Examiners will available on site.
- USA Dance National DanceSport Championships
- WDSF Syllabus Workshops & Certification Exams
- USA Dance Rulebook - 2016